If you are lottery player belong to the region of Atlantic Canada or are residents of any of the Atlantic provinces, located on the Atlantic coast, the three Maritime provinces – New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island and the easternmost province of Newfoundland and Labrador excluding Quebec then here is how to claim your prize if you won the lottery.
Remember there are different ways to claim your prize because that depends on how much you won and how you played whether offline or online.
If you purchased your ticket through retail
If you purchased your ticket through retail then first sign your ticket in ink. You can sign on the front or back of your original winning ticket.
Then, fill out the back of the ticket (including name, address, signature on the signature line, and a day time telephone number). This helps to protect you if your ticket is lost or stolen.
Now again verify your numbers and see if you have the winning numbers. You can do so at the Atlantic Lottery (AL) website at Winning Numbers page. Or call the toll-free numbers: 1-800-561-3942 to know if you are a winner or check the winners at Atlantic Lottery Mobile App
If you have won the lottery then confirm and claim your prize
- Prizes of $250.00 and under can be redeemed at lottery retail locations. Some retail locations can redeem prizes up to and including $500 and some up to $999
- Prizes between $250 to $9,999.99 can be redeemed at any Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank) in Atlantic Canada or in person at Atlantic Lottery’s Head Office in Moncton, NB
- If your ticket is a winner of $10,000 or more, contact Atlantic Lottery at 1-800-561-3942 to make arrangements. If you are a member of a group, you will all be required to complete a Group Win Agreement.
- When claiming a prize of $10,000 and above, you are required to let the Lotto officials use your full name, city, province, prize amount, a game won on, and a current photograph to publicize your winnings.
If you purchased your ticket online
If you purchased your ticket online then the cash prizes of up to $9,999.99 and free plays are deposited into your alc.ca account
If you won cash prizes of $10,000 or more, contact Atlantic Lottery at 1-800-561-3942 to make arrangements
To claim prizes players must provide proof of identification when claiming a lottery win. Regulations state that identification is required, however, copies and associated information will not be kept by Atlantic Lottery once the prize has been processed and paid.
Winners are required to provide one (1) piece of valid Primary ID (not expired) or two (2) pieces of Secondary-ID. If no primary ID is available, please let the Winners Rep know and they will provide you with your alternatives.
Identification provided to ALC must support all the following information pertaining to the Winner like his or her Legal Name, Photo (not mandatory with two secondary ID provided), Date of Birth and Signature
Primary Identification must be valid and issued by a federal, provincial or territorial government body.
The following is a list of accepted Primary IDs:
- Driver’s License
- Passport – Canadian or other Countries
- Firearms Possession and Acquisition License
- Provincial ID Card
- Federal ID Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- Canadian Citizenship Card (if issued prior to 2012)
Remember your credit or debit cards as identification or Record of Photos ID Purchase cannot be used.
In addition to bringing valid Primary or Secondary IDs, the following is a list of Prize Claim Requirements and Expectations:
- Banking Information (ex: Void Cheque or
from you bank)
- Signed Ticket
If there is a Group Ticket, the Group Trustee must sign and should indicate “In Trust” on the ticket.
- Prizes will only be paid to the rightful ticket holder or Group Trustee.
- Prize Claim Form must be completed.
- If Group Win (2 or more), a Group Win Agreement Form must be completed by all members of the group.
- Winner(s) must be present during the entire processing time.
- If Winner(s) arrive at a payout location late in the day the prize may not be paid the same day.
What are Prize Claim Restrictions?
If you purchase a Breakopen Ticket, all Breakopen Tickets (excluding winning the Bonus prize) must be redeemed at the location of purchase. Winning the Bonus prize can be redeemed at any Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank) in Atlantic Canada or in person at Atlantic Lottery’s Head Office in Moncton, NB.
Tickets purchased in other lottery jurisdictions outside of Atlantic Canada must be claimed from the address located on the reverse of the ticket.
All Prizes must be claimed prior to the expiry date as indicated on the ticket. Expiry dates for Scratch & Win tickets are printed on the reverse of the ticket and other lottery games expiry dates are one year from the draw date as indicated on the ticket. Also, ensure you check the expiry date on Scratch & Win tickets at the time of purchase as ALC will not honor prizes for expired tickets.
Mondays (and Tuesdays after a Statutory Holiday) tend to have a higher volume of prize claims presented. Prize Claim processing wait times may be longer than other days of the week. Atlantic Lottery must verify all Prize Claims before payment is made and your prize may not be paid out the same day.
Canadians are not taxed on lottery winnings, but any income earned by the winnings is taxable. Tax laws change often and can vary. This is why consulting with finance professionals is so important. Contact a tax specialist or Revenue Canada to find out more.
Finally, you can contact the Customer Care Centre at 1-800-561-3942, for more details on how to claim a prize.